Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Wonderful Week in Hayward Wisconsin

 My last post was about getting to Hayward and the three activity day I had with a hike, roller skiing and bike ride. I spent the last week in and around Hayward and Cable Wisconsin. The significance of these two towns is they are the start and finish of the American Birkebeiner XC Ski race. It is my marathon dream to do this race. I know I will never be able to run a marathon especially since I think running is pure evil but I do believe I can skate ski a marathon someday. This might be my year, maybe. With the whole COVID thing going on, I will probably do next year instead, I don’t want to have to do it virtually. 

Anyway I stopped in New Moon Ski & Bike shop to check out new boots and skis for this year and to get poles for roller skiing. Joel set me up with poles and ordered boots for me. He also gave me maps for riding both road and mountain. That set me for the week. I did a bunch of riding. Over 250 miles for the week. 

Most of the time I parked/ camped at trailheads on gravel roads. Super quiet and very beautiful. I even spent a couple days at an empty horse camp. I spent my morning watching the Tour on my iPad while making breakfast, ride for a few hours and take a hot shower afterwards at my van with my tankless hot water heater. Can’t tell you how great it is to be able to have this luxury after a long ride. A good dinner and a great night sleep and repeat.

I stayed until the weather was going to change to rain. So I drove west to Minnesota for a couple days, got a couple days of riding there and a few workouts at Planet Fitness before it was going to get cold and rainy. So again I left again for South Dakota. 













No comments: