Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Day 2 Florida Base Miles Trip


Armadillos, Skunks and Rattle Snakes Oh My! This was one heck of a day. These are the creatures I got a picture of. I also saw wart hogs, buzzards, and an alligator from a distance. This is the first time I've seen an armadillo a live. They are usually squished on the side of the road. He was a cute little guy, just rooting around the grass not even caring about me at all. I saw the skunk as I was coming around a corner. I quickly passed on the far side of the road. He didn't seem to care about me either. So I turned around to take a picture. The passing cars give me a look like I was crazy for getting that close to a skunk for a picture. When I saw the rattle snake I was getting passed by a car at the time. It scared me at first, until I realized his head was smashed. I had to get a picture of him. It was the first time I've seen one, I'm glad he was dead thou. The wart hogs were way to fast for pictures, the buzzards don't like their pictures taken and the alligator was too far away to smile for the camera. I hope to see more alligators when I go through alligator alley.

After a hardy breakfast at Ho Jo's, I started into the morning fog. I felt much better than I thought I would feel after yesterdays long ride. My legs didn't seem to have any tenderness at all. Amazing! I haven't riding at all in about a month and my first ride was 70plus miles. I had major concerns with cramping last night. I just rolled along spinning a nice easy gear all day. I drank many bottles of water, even I couple with Nuun active hydration tablets. Unlike yesterday, today I stopped for lunch. I ate at a deli at a gas station nestled in the middle of orange groves. Of course it had to be good because of all the locals eating there. It was. I had bbq chicken, mac and cheese and blueberry cobbler.

I decided this morning, I had to make up the lost miles from yesterday if I didn't want to spent an extra day on the road. I had 20 miles to make up to get back on track. That makes todays ride in the 80plus mile neighborhood. Heck, I haven't ridden a ride that long all summer long. My hands and arms give me more trouble then my legs. But I must say the last 27 miles were very hard on my feet. I think I may need new insoles. Again after a shower and another good meal (Slims BBQ) I feel just fine. We will see what tomorrow brings. Oh ya, I'm still looking for a bike shop to get a new helmet. I think Florida needs more bike shops.

Today 87 miles

No comments: