Friday, December 19, 2008

Day 4 Florida Base Miles Trip

Sidewalks and saddle sores SUCK! I left the hotel at 10:30am after a good nights sleep and a good breakfast. It may have been a mistake. I should have left before the heat of the day. The route was not the most desirable either. It followed major roads that are under construction where I was suppose to ride on a bike path that is also under construction. The road surface for most of this whole trip have been pretty smooth. At least for someone from PA. Today not so much. I'm glad I've been riding rollers since I've been 14 years old. Riding on the white line was like riding 3" balance beam rollers for 15 miles straight. Very stressful too.

Again the day was saved by my headphones. I used them for the last 10 miles just to make it to the end. My feet hurt , my butt hurt and I was sick of bouncing along all day long. After just a few notes of my music and my speed picked up to my normal pace compared to just throwing one foot in front of the other. My pace has been doing very well this whole trip. Legs are spinning good. I've even put some extra efforts in from time to time. And when my butt has been giving me trouble I've even done a few out of the saddle sprints. Sometimes it even feels like training ride.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to go a little farther than my original plans. Instead of stopping in Clewiston, I hope to make it to South Bay. That will make the last day a little less daunting. To do this I'm going to leave at 8:00am. Getting the bulk of the riding done before the heat of the day. And I'll use the headphones earlier in the ride. I just have to watch out for alligators in the alley.

55 miles

No comments: