Friday, August 28, 2020

Elkhart Lake Speedway - the original Road America

 Last August I got to race a tandem bike at Road America in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin. It was a 12 hour race to benefit Team Triumph to continue their mission to support a more inclusive community for disabled athletes. The event was thru the night 7pm-7am. Not really in my wheel house. But we made the best of it and had fun. We were able to get in 100 miles in 12 hours while still getting a relatively decent nights sleep. 

I never thought I would be back in this area just one year later. As luck would have it, with an eye surgery and having to fly back home and then back to Milwaukee, I was not that far away. When I landed in Milwaukee I had no plans of how far I was going to go the first day back in the van. So I got on the Boondockers Welcome website and found a place to stay in the area. Turns out I found a wonderful location in Elkhart Lake. I signed up to stay for 3 days so I could reacclimate to vanlife. Day 1 it rained hard all morning so I reorganized the van. 

During my day 2 bike ride I found historical road markers for the old road course in downtown Elkhart Lake. When car road racing was a thing. Certainly not going to happen anymore. It must of been amazing to watch let a lone drive. So I did a lap of the old course and here are the pictures of the signs. 


I finished off with ice cream. 

Because of the bad quality of these pictures from my phone I'm going to start carrying my iPad on my bike rides. 

No comments: