Saturday, January 16, 2010

Another Beautiful Day in Paradise

Today we rode from Encinitas to La Jolla and back. 30 miles. Markus and Cameron are riding a century tomorrow so they just wanted to do a coffee ride. Eric from BikFit.com joined us for todays ride. We just spun our way south down the coast riding and chatting. The best thing about cycling is just riding along getting to know new people. That is what this whole week has been about. And of course getting some good quality base miles in. The only effort of the ride south was the climb up to Torrey Pines. We took the main road instead of the park road. The main road is a longer climb but has a more steady pitch. I felt really good about the consistent pace I was able to keep the whole way up the climb.

We stopped for coffee at Goldfish Point Cafe right in front of the La Jolla Coves. The euro way to ride is to ride for an hour, stop for coffee and ride for another hour. Works for me. Except I don't drink coffee. I can eat pastry though.

While riding out of La Jolla, back up to Torrey Pines, I dropped off the pace of the other three guys a bit. I just made the light to catch them at the top. Since I had a head of steam going from making the light, I kept the pace a little higher on the flats. We caught up to a guy in all yellow who was riding strong. He pulled us for the next few miles. Our pace was higher until we got to Solana Beach. Cameron had to stop at BL Bike Shop to have his chain worked on. The last few miles to Encinitas was nice and easy. Another great ride.

We all went to lunch at Denny's. I had a veggie omelet. Afterward the best part of the day was a recovery massage by Emily Baker from Velo Therapy. Life is good.

No comments: