Saturday, January 9, 2010

Start of a New Cycling Season-- I may even try training this year.

Last year I started the year out with three week long base mileage trips, in Florida, Tucson and San Diego. Each of those weeks were great but the problem was the many hours I spent sitting on my ass eating everything in the house between training weeks. I weighted more in April then I did in December. Not a smart start of a season. This year is going to be different.

How? For the first thing I started already. Back in November I started watching what I eat. I've gone from 205lbs to 188lbs so far. I've yo-yo ed a bit but for the most part it has been going pretty good. During the holidays I only had one bad day of over indulging. Pretty good for a cookie and chocolate junkie. I have a goal of holding 185lbs then working on bring down the body fat percentage. My racing weight will be what ever it is when my % body fat goes from 25% to 15%. Thats the goal.

I've also started lifting weights. Wow! I know! Me lifting weights.... amazing. I even workout on my overnights. I haven't done that in years. To help me stay consistent I've moved my trainer and weights out of the basement into my second bedroom. I've made it into a full blown exercise room with padded floor, large wall mirror and flat screen TV. I can already see a difference in myself. My little stick arms are getting some shape and even feeling stronger. My abs are getting firm and showing signs of losing the fat covering I've always had since childhood. I'm not one for following a set workout program so I've been just working out when ever I can and just doing what feels right for me. Just trying to stay consistent.

Part of my changed views on working out on my overnight also includes taking a Yoga class. Ok, so far I've taken just one Yoga class but that is a start. I have a bunch of Denver overnights coming up and I've found a class that begins at 2pm every day at Core Power Yoga. Trying new things.

Riding the trainer has not been as consistent yet. I need a kick in the ass to get started. So, I'm going to spent a week in San Diego getting much needed base mileage. Thanks to Facebook I've found a training camp in Encinitas. I am going to spend a week riding with Cyclefilm http://www.cyclefilm.com/. I hope to ride with good people and get that kick start I need. 7 days of riding 3-5 hours a day should do the trick.

This year I am going to stay consistent.

No comments: