Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Nice Easy Spin Up The Coast

Yay right, 70 miles later, I am whipped out. I met the guys from Cyclefilm in Encinitas for a ride up the coast and back. We met up with a couple more guys from Nytro Bike Shop. Six of us rolled two abreast at a nice conversation pace up RT 1 to Carlsbad. Entering Carlsbad Cameron got what sounded like his umpteenth flat of the week. He decided to just stop for coffee and head back to the hotel. He just wanted an easy day anyway, he made a good choice.

The strong guy of the group was on the back side of a 90 mile day so he just wanted to keep steady tempo with a couple downhill sprints thrown in. Steady tempo was a really good tempo especially when we entered I5 for 7 miles. Yes that I5, Interstate 5, with the big rigs and fast moving cars and everything. Then we got on Old Route 1, which is a completely closed road that is used for a bike route. Very cool. This section of road goes thru Camp Pendleton. As we were rolling along my head was on a swivel watching all the different helicopters flying over head doing their maneuvers. Again very cool.

We turned around just before San Clemente. The strong guy and the old guy went home from here. Now it was just Markus, Simon and myself. Maybe because we were heading south, ei: downhill, the pace picked up quite a bit. I guess I picked up the tempo some myself too. That came back to haunt me. Simon began taking long strong pulls and Markus and I were doing our share as well. We rode thru Camp Pendleton on our way south. Pretty cool but that added a few more hills. Not my strength at all. I got dropped on every little hill. They waited for me. When we got back to Carlsbad Simon turned off for home too. Now we are down to just Markus and me. I was fading fast. Markus dragged me in the last 10 miles. We ended up with 65-70 miles of pure fun. Again I can't wait for tomorrows ride.

No comments: