Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Let the Base Miles Begin!

Getting across the country is an all day affair. I was so excited for this trip that I woke up an hour before my alarm yesterday. This should have allowed me to get on the 10am non-stop flight to San Diego. After packing and repacking, I left my house with what I thought was plenty of time to negotiate I695 traffic. No such luck. There were three, yes three major car accidents on I695. I don't know how people commute to work everyday on this crazy road. I cranked up my cell phone GPS to get me around this morning mess. Ronda, the lady stuck in my phone, kept trying to send me back thru the crash scenes. 'Make next legal u-turn and go straight to a standstill for the next 45 minutes' I just kept on driving away from I695 while reaching in my seat back pocket for my trusty old road map. I got to the airport right at push time for the 10am flight. Oh well, the 12:25pm flight will have to do.

I checked in my bike box and another bag full of cycling clothes and cycling shoes. After a quick bit to eat, I went straight to the gate to stand for an hour so I could sign up for the 4th jump seat. Sadly I had to sit on the 4th jump seat on a 5 hour flight to Phoenix. I got to San Diego at 5pm and my bags made it there as well. Nice.

Today I woke up in paradise. Started the day off with a walk to the beach to watch the winter waves crash upon the rocks. Wow, I do love this place. AJ and I sat watching the waves while sipping tea and eating oatmeal for well over an hour.

AJ planned a great first day ride for me today. We rode out of La Jolla up to Torrey Pines and north to Del Ray. From there we headed east on beautiful rolling hills to Rancho Santa Fe. We completed the loop by riding back up Torrey Pines, that climb kicks my butt, and riding past the La Jolla Coves. 50 miles in 3 hours and 6 minutes is a great way to start my base mileage week in paradise.

Tomorrow I am riding with the folks at Cyclefilm. I really look forward meeting and riding with these guys.

No comments: