Thursday, January 8, 2009

Tucson Trip Day 2

Tucson Trip Day 2

The morning woke quite cold at 35 degrees. The weather called for a high of 65-70 today. I figured I'd wait until about 50 before I would start my ride. No need to freeze my butt off here. I could have just stayed at home if I wanted to ride in the 30's.

I spent the morning talking with Joy about my planned ride up to Biosphere 2 and about her profession Astrology. I've never been one to really put much thought into astrology but at the same time I've always read mine in the newspaper and I do get a daily update on my phone. All the same I don't know much about it. Joy has been studying astrology for over 40 years. She asked me where, what time and date that I was born. We went into her office where she has a wall full of books on astrology and sat at her computer. Here she plugged my info into the computer and all kinds of charts appeared. Joy explained what was on these charts and how to read them. Much of this information was way over my head. But very interesting all the same. There are so many different charts that mean so many different things. No wonder she has been studying for 40 years.

Around 10:30am I started on my ride to Biosphere 2. Very much an arm and leg warmer day. Nice gradually climb most of the way on a busy road with wide shoulders. Just like Florida, the road was long and straight where you could see where you were going to be 20 minutes from now. But the big difference, here there is so much to see. Florida all you could see was the road and orange groves. Here you have the Catalina mountain to your right and wide open views where you can see 50 miles away to your left. This is wonderful, you can keep Florida.

Since I was riding so well, I decided to continue on past Biosphere 2 on up to the town of Oracle. Oracle is a very small town with a few shops, a general store, believe it or not two Dollar Stores and even a Ford dealership. Both seamed out of place 20 miles from any substantial population. I rode on up to the Oracle State Park. I even considered riding part way up to Mt Lemmon up the back way. The park ranger I talked to said that road went to dirt and only passable by 4x4 just a mile farther. So I turned around back down to Biosphere 2.

Biosphere 2 was built in the late 1980's as a test facility to understand how natural environments create habitable conditions for human sustainability. Basically, they wanted to see what it would take for humans to live on Mars. In 1991, 8 people lived in Biosphere 2 totally sealed in from the outside environment for 2 years. It is really something to see. The amount of thought and money it took to build this incredibly unique structure is mind boggling. It has changed ownership four times since then. And before the University of Arizona took it over in 2007, the surrounding land was sold for housing and they even thought about demolishing it for more housing. Criminal at best. The tour cost $20 and is worth every penny. I hope to bring my parents out here in February. They would love it, especially my dad.

The ride back down the from Biosphere 2 was fast and fun. I was kind of racing the sun to get back before dark. What a wonderful day.

When I arrived back at the house, Joy said where was a gift on the kitchen table for me. She had made two folders for me with my life astrological report and a year astrological report. So very nice of her. I can't wait to read them.

No comments: