Sunday, January 11, 2009

Tucson Trip Day 5

Tucson Trip Day 5

My earliest start of the trip began with a 7:00am alarm and out the door at 7:30am. Oh ya, and 33 degrees. Ouch. Heck, if I wanted to ride in cold weather, I should have stayed in PA. But wait, it's the Tour de Cookie for goodness sake. Mmmm cookies.

This is not like any other organized ride I've ever done before. It was more like a scavenger hunt, since it did not have a set route. There were 12 cookie stations spread thru out town. The idea was to ride from station to station and buy cookies from each and every station to benefit the charity at each station. Pretty cool idea if I do say so myself. Entry was $25.00 and you got a t-shirt and I decided to buy $1.00 worth of cookies at each station, some how I missed one station. I started by eating my cookie right there before heading to the next station. That lasted about 4 stations before I started to get a gut bomb. To much sugar, believe that. So from then on I began to get picky. Some stations had cheap store bought cookies and some had fancy bakery cookies and the best had homemade cookies with a shot glass of milk. A couple stops, I paid my dollar and didn't even take a cookie.

I forgot to get a sheet with all the addresses of the stations. So I had to just follow the other riders. That was OK until I wanted to ride faster or they were going to a station I had already been to. A few times I would race toward the next station only to pass it or miss a turn. The last part I decided to stay with a group of 4 who were keeping a good pace. At the end they said they did about 35 miles for the ride. Much fun was had by all. Even with a 33 degree start.

Afterward I sat around for awhile still trying to warm up. I sat in the sun watching a soccer game with my clothes spread out across a park bench drying out. Nice thing about dry air, your clothes dry out very fast. The temperature only got up to 62 degrees today and with the wind, I never really felt warm.

Next I headed over to the Pima Air and Space Museum for their tour. This place has aircraft from all the wars, both sides. As well as some very important plane from history like speed records and presidential airplanes. I took the tram ride around the field because the driver told you about each and every plane you passed. And because I could sit and relax in the sun. I sat in the back on my own bench so I could slide from side to side to stay in the sun. The shade was chilly.

It was a 21 mile ride back up to the house. To make it easier for me I used the GPS on my phone. It gives you a straight shot home. Not always the best roads but it give a nice short ride. Tomorrow I'm going to climb up Mt Lemmon, 25 mile climb!

No comments: