Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Tucson Trip Day 1

Tucson Trip Day 1

When I left the great white northeast at 5am I slide down my walkway to my car and chiseled off a half inch of ice from the windshield. When I got to 695 I realized I had forgot my helmet. Crap! So much for the 7:00am flight thru LAS to TUS. After retrieving my nice new helmet that I bought while on my Florida trip I raced down to the airport hoping to make the 8:05am flight thru MDW to TUS. The traffic was much heavier with morning commuters. I was able to quickly check my bike bag and hustle to my gate. I made it, I hope my bike bag did.

In MDW I was scheduled to have 2 hours between flights. Enough time to get food and go to the crew lounge and print some maps from MapMyRide.com. For the first time going thru MDW I didn't get a Potbellies sandwich. I got a salad. Wow, I may be able to drop some of this extra weight this week if I can do long rides and eat right.

Because of weather in PVD the flight to TUS was late. We waited almost 2 hours for the plane. This got me to TUS at about 3:00pm. I took my time getting off the plane, helping to clean like a good non rev should do. At baggage, my bike bag was just coming around the belt. Nice! I was met at the curb by Joy Archer.

Joy Archer is the very nice lady who answered my craigslist ad for a place to stay. When I said I was going to get a rental car, she said she would pick me up at the airport and if I needed a car they were cheaper near her house. Joy drove to her house taking the roads that I would be riding all the while pointing out stores, restaurants, landmarks and the best roads to take for different rides. We even stopped at a bike shop so I could ask about the best rides. The guy at the shop was from Frederick, MD. He set me up with some great rides and two bike maps. I like maps.

The sunsets at 5:35pm. Joy wanted to make sure I would have enough time to ride today. I put my bike together quickly so I could head out for a short ride. Well this isn't Florida. So much more beautiful and diverse in terrain. I climbed Maggee rd to the end, about 3 miles, for a view of the city lights and an incredible sunset. I saw my first little friend, a bunny rabbit. On the way back down I stopped at Trader Joe's for some supplies for the week. Took a fast shower, eat dinner and now it is time for bed. 8:30pm and I am beat.

No comments: