Friday, January 9, 2009

Tucson Trip Day 3

Tucson Trip Day 3.

Today I went west under Interstate 10 and rode the frontage road that parallels the interstate called Silverbells Rd. This road is on the map listed as a nice way to bypass the interstate. So far this the bumpiness road I've ridden is Tucson. Fortunately I was only on it for a few miles and the rest of the ride was spectacular. My ride took me over Gates Pass down into Old Tucson and Saguaro National Park. The ride up the pass was just incredible with every pedal stroke. Even with it being a climb it was great and I'm not a big fan of climbing. When I crested the pass it opened up into a valley where you could see for miles, even as far as Mexico.

On the distant I stopped in a view area to take a few pictures and I met a couple climbing the pass on a Calfee tandem. They were from Connecticut, here for the winter. Every one I've met here is from somewhere else and all of them are from the northeast. Can you blame them?

At the bottom of the hill is Old Tucson Studios. Today I decided not to take the tour but I did peak in and filled my water bottles. They make movies here. From back in the 1950's to today. Clint Eastwood, Paul Newman, Kurt Russel and Sharon Stone have all acted here. Just from the entry way I could see where Keven Costner shot two bad guys at the same time in front of the saloon in Silverodo. Maybe if my parents come out we will go take the tour.

Some of the straightest roads are the most fun here. They go up and down like a roller coaster. Just enough change in height to carry your speed up the next climb. The climb back over the pass was much steeper but with a great reward on the other side. This took me into downtown Tucson during rush hour.
Now it is time to make the slow climb back up to Oro Valley, where I'm staying.

Before getting home I stopped at La Salsa for dinner. Oh my, I was hungry.

No comments: