Saturday, January 10, 2009

Tucson Trip Day 4

Tucson Trip Day 4

The key to todays ride was to ride at my own pace. I set out for a long ride and I had to make sure that I didn't try to keep up with any of the other cyclist out there. It's kind of tough to let them all just go riding on by. I'm so glad that I did. Because I had plenty on energy left after almost 100 miles.

I headed out along the bench of the mountain going east. Really nice smooth rolling roads that curve into town. Tucson is set up like Salt Lake City, like a big giant grid. The distance between major streets is a mile. When you start pushing a head wind the mile feels like a heck of a lot longer. Everything changed on Old Spanish Trail, it winds on the diagonal going southeast. It is so much better than going straight.

Next I entered Saguaro National Monument. At first, I was just going to get some water. Then I decided to pay the $5.00 park fee to ride the 8 mile loop thru the park. Again money well spent. Just beautiful. And educational too. I stopped to read every road side sign along the way. The only thing missing is I haven't seen any of the critters they warn you about. I would have loved to have seen rattle snakes, scorpions, owls, javelins, mountain loins and bears oh my.

After I left the park I decided to follow the rest of the route I had planned. I almost cut it short. Wimp. But I'm so glad I completed it. The ride south was bumpy but the reward I'm going to feel come race season. I felt like I was keeping some pretty good tempo going for about 25-30 miles.

On the way back north I rode right thru the center on the Davis Monthan Air Force Base,' the bone yard'. This is where old airplanes come to die. Sort of. Because of the dry desert air, our government takes all of our trillions of dollars of retired aircraft and parks them here. Rumor is most are still really to fly. I guess waiting for WW3 or an alien attack.

The last slug thru town and up to Oro Valley was difficult. I think I hit every traffic light along the way. Those mile long city blocks were getting longer, too. I also had to stop for more water and some fuel. A bagel.

Tomorrow is the big day, Tour de Cookie!

No comments: