Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Indy Crit and Day 40 Sea 2 Shining Sea


While the rest of the S2SS riders were making their way east across Ohio, a group of five of us drove three hours west to Indianapolis for a bike race. Since we left San Fransico Paul and I have been looking for a bike race to go race.
Well, he found a good one.
A flat figure eight course


The first race for us was for Hunter and James in the Cat 5 race. The field was sold out but with the magic of email and knowing the right people Paul was able to get them both into the race. This was James first race and Hunter had only done a couple training races before. They started off great. Both comfortable in the middle of the pack. By lap two Hunter was at the front pushing the pace and James was still hanging in the pack. A couple laps later Hunter had pushed the pace hard enough to get a gap of a few seconds with a two other riders. James was riding great in a chase group. Mid race Hunter won a $25.00 prime for the leader of the lap. Now with one lap to go Hunter decides to leave his two breakaway companions with a hard effort thru a corner. Sadly it had just rained a few drops right before his effort and he slide out and went down quickly. The guy in second ran right over his leg and kept on going for the win.  James finished strong in his chase group.
It was so great to see these guys race so hard and have such a fantasic time. Even with the crash Hunter was smiling from ear to ear. He won money in a race where the winner only got a medal and he had his first crash at speed and he was alright. James found out how fast fast is and can do it just fine.
 Hunter Pinnell leading the Cat 5 race
 James Sheehan in his first bike race



Paul and I raced the 40+ Masters race together. I lined up in the second row and Paul wiggled his way into the front row. Pretty funny. Needles to say this was my first race in two months and my first 40+ race in a long time so I was a little concerned if I could hold the speed. Right off the line I was able to go straight to the front and sit second wheel. Cool. I can do this. I settled to the middle of the pack where I like to be.
As in all 40+ races the testostrone levels are super high and the speed is fast and crashes follow from everyone needing to be in the front at all times. This race was no different. We had three big crashes. Each time I was able to get around with no problems. Just had to do some work to close some gaps. Each time I looked around for Paul to make sure he was still upright. To find out later he did go down slightly in one crash and had to take a free lap.
About half way thru the race my ability to close gaps started to dwindle. When I found myself at the back of the pack I just sat up and didn't fight it and dropped out. I was very happy with my race and my speed for now. Paul looked great sitting in the top 10-15. With a couple laps to go he was fighting to keep in the top 5-10 in his group. There were three riders off the front. Paul sprinted and got fifth in the field sprint which got him 8th overall. Pretty darn amazing for a 57 year old guy riding with a bunch of 40 year old. Very impressive indeed.
 Paul Curley in the 40+ Masters Race
 Greg Hoffman in the 40+ Masters Race


The premier race of the day for us all was the Tandem Race. This is why we drove all of this distance and missed riding with all the guys at S2SS. To race a tandem on a figure eight course in the middle of downtown Indianapolis in front of a great crowd was incredible.
We lined up with nine tandems including Larry and myself on one and Paul and James on another. It was just a four lap race so it started off very fast. The favorites for the race was a local tandem who won Tandem Nationals last year. They went right to the front from the gun. Another strong tandem got right on their wheel, Larry and I sat in third. Two laps in we had Paul and James on our wheel so I came around the second place tandem and kind of pushed them out wide off the front tandems wheel. This put us into second and Paul came right in to third.
With one lap to go, I came around the lead tandem and Paul came around too. Larry and I nailed it with everything we had to get a gap and Paul made the other tandem chase us down. The other tandem was not too happy with this move. With two corners to go both tandems came around Larry and I squeezing us very tight inside. My hand hit one of the cones marking the course, it came back and hit Larry's leg.
In the final sprint Paul and James held on for a photo finish to win. They even dropped their connecting chain in the sprint.
We all had so much fun!!! Larry's first race. My first Tandem Crit. And we got first and third!!!
 Lap 1 of the Tandem Race
 One lap to go in the Tandem Race
 Paul Curley and James Sheehan winning the Tandem Race!
Greg Hoffman and Larry Gunter getting 3rd Place in Tandem Race.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent EBS Racing strategy on the tandem race. The locals were little match for your team guile.

Brian