Thursday, July 23, 2020

Tahquamenon Falls and Lake Superior State Forest Ride. And Whitefish Point.

Tahquamenon Falls And Lake Superior State Forest Ride


Today Jill went to find cell service to do some needed banking, I went for a bike ride. The plan according to Garmin was a 88 mile loop kind of half road and half dirt roads. Well in Garmin’s grand form it does it’s best to confuse the plan at every opportunity. Between telling me to follow every deer trail to instructing to make a U turn it can be very frustrating. You never know what direction is correct. I tried to stick to what I thought was the planned route on the bigger gravel roads. 


The first 38 miles were on near perfect paved roads with minimal traffic that I was able to keep a fairly quick pace. The next 27 miles were on washboard dirt / gravel roads that had many soft sections that could pull you off the bike if you were not paying attention. I did make one bad direction turn towards Reed & Green Bridge Campgrounds that added some miles. I will blame Garmin for that. 


It was funny I was motoring along when a lady in a car going the other direction asked me for directions. I’m not the one to ask directions out here. I jammed on my brakes, tried to help her and went back on my way. The next big intersection, that I didn’t know was going to be there, a guy in a SUV waved me down. As I was rolling up to him I said I bet I have the same question for you. He asked for a suspension bridge, I had no idea. I asked for directions to the town of Paradise. He said to go back the way he came and turn left at the road. I didn’t ask how much dirt road was left but wanted to. 


This new route did cut my ride a bit shorter but I am completely fine with that. When I did finally get on the pavement I only had less than 10 miles to go. Pace picked up and I was back in camp in no time. A recovery protein shake and a good hot shower and I am feeling great. 


Let’s go back out! Okay I will wait until tomorrow.









When Jill got back we went canoeing at the Lower Falls island and went hiking. I don’t have pictures from that, didn’t want to get my iPad wet.


Afterward I had to go see Whitefish Point before we leave this area tomorrow. It did not disappoint. 












No comments: