Thursday, July 23, 2020

Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Upper Peninsula of Michigan 


Last night, our last night at Mill Creek Campground in Mackinaw, it started raining just as we were going to bed and last all night. Very hard rain several times during the night. We awoke to most of the campsites under water. My site was probably the best, driest. Jill and Angie’s campsite which was right on Lake Huron was almost completely underwater. Angie packed up and was gone before I even got up. Jill and I drove out by 9am. 


After a week of camping and riding it was time for a morning of laundry and grocery shopping. To Walmart we go. Funny how Walmart is my go to place now a days and I’m not even sleeping in their parking lot anymore. It least not yet anyway. We got restocked with the staples eggs, yogurt, blueberries, granola, peanut butter, salads and a few treats. Spent the next hours doing laundry before we were able to get back on the road going north. 


They say if you drive across the Mackinaw Bridge to the Upper Peninsular going exactly the speed limit while singing The Wrack Of The Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot it’s good luck and the same distance.  I’m not sure if that’s totally accurate but I tried. Except I drove much slower than the speed limit following a truck and because of road construction and I had a hard time remembering all the words. It is an absolutely beautiful drive and certainly didn’t mind going slower. We stopped in St Ignace for lunch, a Pasty. Again something that was suggested to us. A pasty is kind of like across between a burrito and a pot pie. You can get it in beef, chicken or vegetable. It’s a pot pie you can carry and eat with your hands. Very hardy and very good. 


Our campsite for tonight is Tahquamenon Falls State Park. Not far from Lake Superior.  We did a short hike to the Lower Falls today. Played some Yahtzee and went to bed. 

 

Tomorrow I’m thinking of a longer bike ride, we shall see.








No comments: